- Production of raw materials (e.g. extraction for synthetic ones, growing vegetal or animal for natural ones)
- Pre-assembling of materials (e.g. extruding or molding plastics, weaving fabrics, tanning leather)
|Source of data(1)||Brand|
|Upper Material||EVA - Standard|
|Outsole Material||EVA - Standard|
|End-of-life||With recycling program|
|End of life||0.7|
weight, materials of upper, manufacturing country of upper, proportion of upper, materials of outsole, manufacturing country of outsole, proportion of outsole, materials of insole, proportion of insole, country of manufacturing.
Carbonfact model breakdown details
Our Sneaker category method is inspired by the work conducted by ADEME(1) and MIT(2). The following steps are identified and our current method focuses on (A) Materials, (B) Assembling, (D) Distribution and (F) End of life (which covers 98 % of the average carbon footprint).
- Transport of materials from the extraction or production site to the pre-assembling factory.
- Transport of the pre-assembled materials to the assembling factory.
- Boat: 18 000 km * ((0.7+0.2) / 1 000) t * 0.015 kgCO2eq/t.km = 0.243 kgCO2eq
- Airplane: 12 000 km * ((0.7+0.2) / 1 000) t * 0.60 kgCO2eq/t.km = 6.48 kgCO2eq
- Result: 13 % * 6.48 kgCO2eq + 87 % * 0.243 kgCO2eq = 1.05381 kgCO2eq
- ADEME. J.Lhotellier, E.Less, E.Bossanne, S.Pesnel. March 2018. LCA Modeling and Evaluation of Consumer Products and Goods (link)
- Lynette Cheah, Natalia Duque Ciceri, Elsa Olivetti, Seiko Matsumura, Dai Forterre, Richard Roth, Randolph Kirchain, Manufacturing-focused emissions reductions in footwear production, Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 44, 2013 (link)
- Shoes contain more than 2 materials
- The energy consumed by the assembling process probably depends on the sophistication of the shoes.
- Embodied emissions from packaging are not taken into account.
Auditing the calculations
The source code used to compute product footprints is public and available as open-source: kansoapp/carbonfact-models.
Updates and corrections
If you see mistakes or want to suggest changes, please contact us.